Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Review of November Birchbox


Now that I have had some time to go through and try all of these lovely products, I thought I would let you know my thoughts on them. Turns out that some of the products I thought I would love I liked a lot less than the products I was less excited about. That always seems to be the case with these subscription boxes, which is what i love about them. 


Lulu Organics Lavender and Clary Sage Hair Powder - $30

Revive second-day locks by working this organic dry shampoo into your roots. You'll get plenty of lift, but no residue.

I have always wanted to try a dry shampoo, but have been unwilling to buy a bottle and until now, never received a sample. I am pretty glad that I never purchased one now. To those who like and use dry shampoos, I am sure you will be pleased. It has a very pleasant scent and did seem to soak up excess oil nicely, I just found it was messy and unnecessary. I would rather just wash my hair.

ModelCo Fibre Lashxtend Lengthening Mascara - $24

Falsies without the fuss. This innovative mascara uses tiny lash-extending fibers to give you a lengthy fringe. Tip: Rotate the wand inside the bottle to pick up the fibers.

I was super pumped to receive this is my box and originally used it every day. It thickened my lashes, extended them, darkened them, separated them etc. Everything you would want from a mascara. It originally seemed like I had found my dream mascara, that is until I started realizing that by the end of the day all of those little fibers were coming off onto my face. I had a peppering of little black fibers all under my eyes and sometimes onto my cheeks. No bueno. I tried to ignore it and continue using and loving this mascara, but sadly they need to work on this just a bit more before I can really tell you I love it. Which is very sad.


Here you can see the big fat wand

Mox Botanicals Pomegranate and Fig Lip Butter - $16

This eco-chic balm, in an exclusive flavor, revives lips with avocado oil and shea butter.

This is on my list as the opposite of the mascara. I originally used it and disliked it. Weirdly enough, I have never tried a lip butter before. Having not tried one, it has a weird, oily quality to it that I was not anticipating coming from chapsticks. It is really light on your lips and fast absorbing. It took a bit to get used to the change in texture, but once I did I found I really love this. It has a tart scent to it and sweet taste if you lick you lips while wearing it. It is quite a pleasant product. I find my lips to be well moisturized and I love that its all natural.



One Love Organics Aromatic Body Serum - $39

Made with pumpkin seed and sea buckthorn oil, this fast-absorbing oil keeps skin subtle and hydrated. Bonus: It has aromatherapy benefits!

This product I could take or leave. It is a body oil. It smells amazing (I have already stated I love One Love Organics) and as such was really excited to try this out, but it is quite greasy. I have used body oils in the past and found this was not as fast absorbing as I would have excepted. I had heard others complain about this oil, but found it has other uses, massage oil anyone? Although not my favorite sample, I think the rest of the box more than made up for it, especially since I was hoping to get this sample. I have pretty dry skin and found this a bit greasy, so I'm not sure many people would find this suited them, but let me know in the comments if you think I'm wrong.

John Varvatos Artisan

Give this extra sample to a lucky guy. It's modern blend of energizing citrus and warm woods. After he's been dapper-fied, send him over to birchbox.com/men to learn about birchbox man.

I have quite the funny little story that goes with this last sample. I did what was expected of me and gave it to a very dapper man in my life: my father. I was all excited and got home for Thanksgiving, and went to give this to my father, who was in his office at the time, who just thanked me and went on with his business. I was upset, I told him to smell it, he tried to remove the vial from the cardboard with one hand, and promptly spilled the contents of this cologne everywhere. Although this does smell really nice, very manly, very woody scent, it was not pleasant all over the desk and his papers.

Anyone else ever spill their sample vial all over their stuff?

I love playing with samples and found this to be a great box full of full sized items and large samples. What did your box contain? Did you enjoy playing as much as I did?

Birchbox is a monthly subscription service available for $10 a month. It can be purchased from http://www.birchbox.com/

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the mascara. What a hassle with the shedding.

    The cologne sounds lovely. I've almost spilled a perfume sample once. I ended up grabbing it in time but ended up wearing more than I wanted.

    ReplyDelete